Reasons for inclusion in youth sports:
- All kids should benefit from the social aspect of being on a team
- Adulthood usually requires that we have to work with others. Team sports are a great opportunity to work on those skills. All kids learn that working towards a common goal is often more important than individual targets.
- Enhanced self-esteem for individuals who are part of a team
- Team sports provide youth an opportunity for better physical fitness as children, and later as adults. Physical fitness is important for all societal groups.
- Team sports can help promote the concept of fairness. The team setting helps promote the importance of working hard, being a good teammate and a coachable individual, as opposed to judging people based on skin colour, gender, religious persuasion, or ethnicity.
- Including all kids creates a bigger pool of athletes, and thus increases chances of team competitive success
- Youth sports can create a template of inclusion for all aspects of society. Our youth will carry the ideas of inclusion with them into adult life.